Monday, July 21, 2014

Cocktail Hour

My father in law has instituted "cocktail hour" every day at 5:00 PM. That's a bit early for me- I mean, what if I still need to drive somewhere that evening? But I do like the idea of having a cocktail in the evening, it just works better for me to wait til 8 or 9. I've decided to change it up and not have the same thing every night- I'm always seeing interesting cocktail recipes on Pinterest or wherever and this is a good way to try them out. I'm starting with simple ones and working my way up. Last night I made a Lemon Drop after seeing them make one on Bar Rescue (a show I've recently found to be oddly addictive)- vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup shaken with ice and served in a glass with a sugar rim. Tonight I made a White Russian with almond milk and coffee ice cubes. Got a good one? Share it in the comments!

2 comments:

jacalyn said...

Blackberry Crush!
4 blackberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon simple syrup
1 1/4 ounces vodka
Seltzer
Crushed Ice
Crush the blackberries a bit in the bottom of a shaker to release the juices.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Shake.
Pour, ice and all in to a sugar rimmed glass.
Garnish with a mint sprig or a lemon twist.
Cheers!
(I confess to using artificial sweetener instead of simple syrup.)

whirlygirly said...

Ooh! I need to get me some blackberries!

I made a batch of simple syrup (with organic sugar), but I bet agave syrup would work well too?

Tonight's cocktail is Toffee Martini: 1 ounce Vodka, 1 ounce butterscoth schnapps, 1 ounce brown crème de cacao, 1 ounce almond milk (unsweetened)

It was shown with a sugar rim but I garnished the glass with chocolate syrup instead. :)